Friday, October 11, 2013

Klaipeda in a Timelapse

Hello Everyone! Labas visiems!

My work at LCC is taking up huge amounts of time and energy and I've had little time to sit down and write the blog-posts you deserve. Please know that even though I am slow in writing that I am grateful every day for you and your prayers.

I'm sitting at my work computer now and writing this spur of the moment blog post because I came across a really excellent video that should help you all to visualize more clearly where I am living. It shows Klaipeda through time-lapse videography. It does a fantastic job of showing you Klaipeda's beautiful Old Town (founded in 1252), some of its New Town and its harbor on the Baltic Sea. It also gives a good overall feel of the city.

The video does have a few shortcomings, however. Namely, it doesn't show you Klaipeda in any season except for summer. Trust me, the blue skies you see in the video are not here all year. Since the beginning of September, Klaipeda has taken on a distinctly gray color and it will only get more cloudy, wet and cold as October continues on. And then the snow will come!

The film also does not show you certain sections of the city. In particular, it makes it seem like Soviet architects never got this far west. That is decidedly not the case. There are huge sections of the city dominated by Soviet apartment buildings. It also doesn't show neat areas of the city designed in post-Soviet times. One of my favorite things to do is take an evening walk through the neighborhood right beside LCC. This neighborhood is full of houses designed and built by regular Lithuanian families after 1990. The creativity is astonishing and intriguing to me.

Overall, though, this video is excellent so enjoy your glimpse into Klaipeda, Lithuania's third largest city!

No comments:

Post a Comment