Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Lietuva

Hello! Labas! 

It is great to be back in the blogging world. Although, in truth, the only reason I am happy to be back in this cyberspace is because in the morning I am returning to another, greater place -- Lithuania!

Those of you who used to follow this blog know that I previously spent four months in Lithuania as a student at an international university. Now, two years and three months later, I'm pleased to share that I am returning to Lithuania to work at the university where I previously studied. 

I had planned to make this first new entry a quick summary of what I've been up to and what I'll be doing in Lithuania but I decided against it. (Ok, I ran out of time.) I am postponing that post and instead will start the new series off on a more fun "note." 

Below, you will find my rendition of a song called "Lietuva" - meaning "Lithuania." This little song is upbeat, patriotic and also shares a bit about the country for those of us not from there. You can click the link for the Lithuanian lyrics or follow along with the English translation provided. Enjoy!

Oh and the instrument is an Octave Mandolin. I promise I don't intentionally try to be quirky.



"Lietuva" by Wika
Lithuania...is the land of basketball.
There is a huge castle in Trakai.
Palanga's seashores are spangled by amber.
I like to walk there in the evening.
There are a lot of hot guys in Vilnius.
But I like Kaunas most of all cities.
Nobody will ever change my Lithuania, nobody ever.

Lithuania. Our Lithuania!
I will never move abroad.
England and Spain won't attract me.
And I will never gather oranges there.

There are a lot of brooks, rivers and lakes.
A blue sky, it's a pleasant place for me.
Whether it is raining or sun is shining.
It's my dear beloved Lithuania.
We never won Eurovision, but that doesn't matter.
We can sing in spite of that.
And this is the real truth.

Lithuania. Our Lithuania!
I will never move abroad.
England and Spain won't attract me.
And I will never gather oranges there.




No comments:

Post a Comment